Students of Carroll County Public Schools are required to groom themselves in a manner that is modest, clean, appropriate, decent and not disruptive to the educational process. Students are expected to abide by this dress code from their arrival to the school building until the end of the school day. Requirements include, but are not limited to:
Hats, sunglasses, or head coverings of any kind, including bandanas and visors, shall not be worn in the school building unless approved for religious or medical reasons. Certain headbands, scrunchies, etc., which are used to hold hair in place and do not cover the entire head, are permitted.
- Cover the entire back, i.e., no cutout backs, no shirts that tie in back
- Cover the midriff area, i.e., bottom of the shirt must meet the top of the lower attire at all times
- Cover undergarments, (tank-top undershirts and skin-tight compression shirts are considered undergarments and must have a shirt over them)
- Not be see-through
- Fit modestly so that cleavage area is covered
- Have two straps, one on each shoulder (no tube tops or halter tops)
Skirts and shorts should not be excessively short. The guideline for "excessively short" is clothing that does not reach the student’s fingertips when the student is standing with arms extended at the side.
- Pants shall cover undergarments at all times and not be excessively long so that they drag on the floor.
- No shoes with wheels shall be worn.
- No bedroom slippers or pajamas shall be worn.
- No chains which could inflict significant bodily harm if used as weapon, spiked clothing or accessories shall be worn.
- No mutilated, cutout or ragged clothing shall be worn that exposes bare skin between the upper chest and mid-thigh or creates a significant distraction.
- Underwear shall not be showing and shall not be worn as outerwear.
- Clothing shall not convey advertisements for condoms or other birth control devices, tobacco, alcohol, drugs, or weapons stated or implied.
- Clothing shall not convey symbols or messages generally accepted to promote intolerance, hate, racial slurs, or sexual harassment.
- Clothing shall not convey establishments or products whose names can be directly interpreted or construed as carrying a "double meaning" involving sexual innuendo, gang symbols, or sexual activity.